Ladykirk, parish aka E. Upsettlington

Grid reference

NT 888 476 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

388800 647600

Latitude

55.72170308404984

Longitude

-2.1783180521749057

Nearby places

Ladykirk, ~eccles. Ladykirk LKK (BWK) (0 miles)

Ladykirk, settlement Ladykirk BWK (0 miles)

St Leonard's Hospital, Ladykirk (0.28 miles)

St Mary's Well, Ladykirk (0.69 miles)

Wester Upsetlington, former parish, Ladykirk (1.11 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for St Mary's Church, Ladykirk, a late medieval building but on site of earlier church. The OSA (vol. 8, p.71) has: "James IV [changed] the name to Ladykirk, after having built a handsome church in it, which he dedicated to the Virgin Mary."

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Horndean, former parish, Ladykirk

Parish details

Ladykirk formerly Easter Upsetlington, now containing Horndean.

Parish TLA

LKK

County

Berwickshire

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

'After its reconstruction by James IV (referred to as) Kirk of Steill, and then Ladykirk, (it) was the parish church of the eastern part of the barony of Upsettlington, theo other part, Wester Upsettlington, possessing its own parish church, although this had ceased to exist by the mid-fifteenth century, it then becoming part of Hutton ... It is clear from later eivdence that the connections which existed between Durham, Coldingham and Upsettlington refer to the church latterly known as Wester Upsettlington, while the church of Easter Upsettlington appears to be the church entered in Bagimond's Roll as that of Upsetlington. Its patronage remained with the lords of thbe barony who in 1491 became the Homes of that Ilk, with whom the patronage of the still independent parish remained at the Reformation' (Cowan 1967, 204).