Kirkbride, eccles., Kirkbride, Urr

Grid reference

NX 825 697 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

282500 569700







Nearby places

Urr, parish, aka Colmonell KCB (0 miles)

Kirkbride (Blaiket), former parish, Urr (0 miles)

Garmartin, settlement, Urr (2.1 miles)

St Patrick's Well, Kirkpatrick Durham (2.28 miles)

Kirkpatrick Durham, settlement KDM (2.37 miles)

Object Classification


Is linear feature?



The NGR given is for the site of the church marked on modern OS maps at Meikle Kirkland, about 1900 metres north of Blaiket Mains farm. The modern OS maps have labelled the site 'St Constantine's Church', but earlier editions simply call it 'Chapel and Grave Yard.'. It is certainly not St Constantine's, as that is said in medieval sources to be at Edingham, several kilometres to the south (NX843627). OS Name Book recorded the following circa 1850: 'Site of Chapel and Grave Yard. Mr McNeilly the occupier of the farm states that he removed the foundations of the chapel and cleaned the place of rubbish &c. a few years ago. Mr Burges of Springholm states that he remembers seeing part of the walls of this building standing. There is no remains or track at present remaining but there is evidently a difference in the soil which shows the place of the graveyard. The stones of the chapel and the tomb stones were all taken away long since to build fences &c. In the Statistical Account of Kirkcud’ 1845 is the following notice of the chapel. “It would appear that in the upper part of the parish there was in former time a place of worship, probably Popish, and on the site of the building (which is the property of Meikle Kirkland) there were found several years ago some human bones and a quantity of melted lead. It is supposed that the building was consumed by fire soon after the reformation from Popery in Scotland’ (OS1/20/89/22),

Relationships with other parishes

Within Kirkbride (Blaiket), former parish, Urr (formerly)

Within Urr, parish, aka Colmonell KCB