St John's Chapel (on Leader), Melrose

Grid reference

NT 550 410 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

355000 641000

Latitude

55.66043912500825

Longitude

-2.7153433977142694

County

Roxburghshire

Nearby places

Earlston, parish (2.34 miles)

Ladywell, settlement Legerwood (2.51 miles)

Lady Well, well, Legerwood (2.51 miles)

St Mary's Chapel, Park, Roxburghshire (2.73 miles)

St Leonards Hill, Lauder (2.86 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

This chapel which gives its name to the settlement of Chapel on Leader at this NGR) along with Kedslie, belonged to Dryburgh Abbey, listed in Asssumption 197 (Sanct Johnnes chapel and Cadeslie). Dryburgh's holding here is reflected by the fact that Chapel on Leader and Kedslie were in a detached part of Lauder parish until 1891, whereafter they were transferred to Melrose. The church of Lauder was also appropriated to Dryburgh Abbey (Cowan 1967, 128-9).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Lauder, parish (formerly)

Until 1891

Within Melrose, parish