Ruthven, former parish, Cairnie ABD

Grid reference

NJ 506 469 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

350600 846900







Nearby places

St Carol's Church, Ruthven RVX, Cairnie (0.09 miles)

St Carol's Well, Ruthven RVX, Cairnie (0.25 miles)

St Martin's Well, (Botarie) Cairnie (1.76 miles)

St Martin's Church, (Botarie) Cairnie (1.82 miles)

Cairnie, modern parish (1.82 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?



NGR for Ruthven Old Parish Church of which NMRS records: There is some doubt as to whether the dedication is to St Caral or St Cyril. The old bell, bearing the date 1643, is known as the 'Wow of Rivan'. The sculptured figure in armour, in one of the walls is said to be one of the Gordon's of Ruthven and appears to be 16th century. A Jervise 1875-9. Ruthven Kirk was about 66ft long and 30ft broad the foundations still being visible. It was ruinous in 1686 but was probably repaired, since services were held at Ruthven until about 1721. J Pirie 1906. NJ 5061 4691. The entire SW gable including the bell and belfry remains. Incorporated in the graveyard wall is a 13.4m length of the NW wall, 0.9m thick and 1.7m average height. In a recess in this wall is the sculptured figure mentioned by Jervise (1875-9). Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (NKB), 4 February 1964.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Cairnie, modern parish

Adjoined to Dipple, former parish, Speymouth (formerly)

Relationships with other places

Contains St Carol's Church, Ruthven RVX, Cairnie

Contains St Carol's Well, Ruthven RVX, Cairnie

Parish details

Ruthven now part of Cairnie CIE

Parish TLA


Medieval diocese


Parish notes

Erected along with the church of Dipple into a prebend of Moray by bp. Brice 1208x15. (Mor. Reg. nos.46-7). Cowan 1967, 175. 1618 the whole of Ruthven was added to Botarie, and the united parish was called Botarie and Ruthven till c.1710, when the name Cairnie adopted (Fasti, 302). See also CIE BTX (Botarie) & CIE DDX (Drumdelgie). The old parish kirk of Ruthven became dilapidated in 1689; and in Ruthven (CIE RVX) ‘there is a chappel at Crommellat’ (1726 - A.B. Coll. ii 188) [= Cormalet]. “Within the bounds there were chapels at Mortlach & Haddoch, and a well of St Cyril. A fair of St Cyril was held at Ruthven” Fasti, 302. This is referred to as 'Caral Fair' by Mackinlay (1914, 409). Note Tillytarmont in CIE RVX, very near the county boundary ABD/BNF (Rothiemay parish) & Huntly (Kinnoir par. = XKR).