Bondington, former parish, NTB England

Grid reference

NT 980 530 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

398000 653000

Latitude

55.77035342778941

Longitude

-2.0318821358526202

Nearby places

Berwick St Laurence, former parish, Berwick (0.62 miles)

St Laurence's Church, Berwick (0.62 miles)

St Leonard's Nunnery, Berwick-on-Tweed (0.67 miles)

Berwick St Mary's, former parish, BET (0.83 miles)

St Mary's Church, Berwick upon Tweed (0.83 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the area of Castlehills farm, where Bondington is supposed to have been situated.

Parish details

Bondington part of Berwick BET NTB; consists of Berwick St Laurence BXL & Berwick St Mary BXM.

Parish TLA

BXN

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

The churches of Berwick St Laurence BXL and Berwick St Mary (BXM) appear to have constituted this parish, which served the area adjoining Berwick on Tweed (Chalmers Caledonia iii, 350; Kelso Lib. 467; MacKinlay ACD-NS, 394). The teinds belonged to Durham by its right to the two constituent churches, these being devoted to the uses of the priory of Coldingham. The parish ceases to appear after the 13th c. and it was probably absorbed into that of Berwick Holy Trinity.BET. Note that c. 1300 in the old rental of Kelso Abbey under Bondyington’ it has: “Habent apud Bondingtona’ iuxta ecclesiam Sancti Laurenc duas carucat terre cum duobus toftis que solebant rddere per annum vi marc Habent ibi vnum toftum iuxta ecclesiam Sancte Mar et quandam bancam subtus ecclesiam ad herbag’.” (Kelso Lib. 467).