Bo'ness, former parish, aka Kinneil, BCN

Grid reference

NS 980 805 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

298000 680500





Nearby places

Bo'ness & Carriden, modern parish (1.55 miles)

St Ninian's Mill, Linlithgow (1.61 miles)

Mount Michael, Linlithgow (2.1 miles)

St John's Acre, Linlithgow (2.26 miles)

Linlithgow, parish (2.46 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)


NGR for the ruined Norman building which was the parish kirk of Kinneil until c.1670 when the parish centre moved to Bo'ness. It was accidentally burned down in 1745 (NMRS, Canmore ID: 48184). There was a brief attempt to create Bo'ness as a distinct parish from Kinneil in the seventeenth century, but it failed, and an act of parliament in 1669 reversed a decision by an earlier parliament to create two parishes out of one (RPS 1669/10/133)

Parish details

Bo'ness, part of Kinneil parish until 1634 (OSA xviii, 423), now part of Bo'ness & Carriden CNX BCN

Parish TLA


Medieval diocese

St Andrews