Dunkeld & Dowally

Grid reference

(accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

0 0

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Parish details

Dunkeld & Dowally DAX

Parish TLA




Parish notes

‘The parish then called Litill Dunkeld was large and scattered, sixteen miles in length. it was therefore divided [by Bishop George Broun shortly after 1500]. The old parish church of Litill Dunkeld was allowed to stand [on s. bank of Tay, opposite Dunkeld]; and the bishop set up another at Capeth, where he built and adorned the choir at his own expense. There was a painted reredos: glass was put in the windows: a small vicarage annexed to the bishopric was assigned to the vicar for his support, with the hill (commonly called, hitherto, Mwtehill) on which he set the church, and four acres for glebe ...’ There follows an account of a miracle of St Columba in Caputh during the plague of 1500 (Dunk. Rent. 312-3).... Later the bishop, considering that the population in these parishes had increased, and that in the upper parts of the parish of Capeth Irish was spoken, he therefore built and endowed, in honour of St Anne, a parish church among the woods in his church land of Dowaly, assigning a manse for the priest, as the formal writ fully testifies.’ (Myln, Vitae in Dunk. Rent. 312-3). Note also Cowan 1967 under Dunkeld-Holy Trinity & Dunkeld-St Columba, which former probably merged into latter in 13th c. (former last mentioned 1234). Rogers states that the situation of the parish of Dunkeld is rather obscure, quoting the OSA (xii, 316-17) that it was not extensive and that its bounds had never been defined properly, comprising only what had formerly been the city of Dunkeld. Rogers goes on to say that parochial service appears to have been conducted in the cathedral church, which succeeded the original St Columba’s. But the situation is further complicated by the existence of a further 12th c. church in Dunkeld dedicated to the Holy Trinity (1992, 389).