Forgue, parish (aka Frendraught)

Grid reference

NJ 610 450 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

361000 845000

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)


NGR given for 'St Margaret's Church', an antiquity on OS six inch map, of which NMRS records: St Margaret's Church was the original parish church, dedicated to Queen Margaret of Scotland. Its site lies a few yards south of the present parish church. OS Name Book 1871. Locally there is no knowledge of the exact site or date of the old church, although the grave digger, Mr Perry, encountered a solid foundation wall, three metres from the south wall of the present church, when digging a grave in 1955. The Church of St Margaret was built in 1858, replacing a building of 1795 on the same site. Visited by OS (JTT), 9 September 1964.

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese